This could potentially be a very VERY long post…
I am a huge music buff. I have a rather broad taste, ranging from Classical to Heavy Metal. Literally. I’m not kidding! Thankfully my dad has an awesome taste in music, plus my history of theater, and then the things I found myself, etc etc. You get the idea.
I’ll give you an example, I have a rather eclectic list on my iPod right now, so let me shuffle and give you a random list.
- Nirvana – Lake of Fire
- P.O.D – Youth of the Nation
- Muse – Plug In Baby
- Skillet – Hero
- The East Village Opera Company – Overture (Le Nozze Di Figaro) [Redux]
- Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling
- Epica – Adagio
- Les Miserables: International Cast – At The End of the Day
- Halestorm – Out Ta Get Me
- Muse – Uprising
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Fur Elise
- Sirenia – The Other Side
- Volbeat – The Mirror And The Ripper
- Love Spit Love – How Soon Is Now
- Avenged Sevenfold – Scream
- Chicago (Soundtrack) – Nowadays
- Apocalyptica – Not Strong Enough
- Mamma Mia! (Soundtrack) – Mamma Mia
- Epica – The Last Crusade
- System of a Down – Toxicity
- Volbeat – Still Counting
- Garbage – #1 Crush
- D’Oyly Carte Opera Company (HMS Pinafore Soundtrack) – Can I Survive the Overbearing
- Coal Chamber – Loco
- Rob Zombie – Dragula
So, as you can see, listening to my iPod if you don’t know what you’re getting into is probably like dealing with an ADHD DJ on speed… I currently have almost 500 songs on it right now, and the whole thing is like that. Pop, Rock, Heavy Metal, Musicals, etc etc. I like what I like.
The funny thing is. You have a LOT of musical purist out there. I’m not “enough” of a metal head because I listen to other stuff. I’m not a “real” theater buff because I don’t know every word to every musical (and will openly admit there are some I’ve either never heard or don’t care for). I’m not good enough for pop because except for rare exceptions I don’t like most of it. It better be unique and not so mainstream for me to actually be willing to listen. And I get strange looks being from and living in the south, and my dislike of a most Country music. Then I’m just weird because I like a lot of European hard rock and metal. (See Epica above, but what you don’t see on the list is the Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation to mention a few).
I guess the point to this randomness today is this. Don’t lock yourself into a particular genre of music. Music is such an amazing thing, full of emotions and meanings and everything like that. Keep yourself open to different styles, bands, genres, all of that. It’s worth it. Trust me. I still find things new to me almost every week. Do I have favorites? Yup. Do I have certain things I listen to when I’m in a particular type of mood? Yup. Do I love to share my love of music with others? OH most definitely.
Keeping smiling, singing, rocking out, whatever! 😀